Thursday, September 1, 2011

Jamie and Claire....Le Sigh.

I adore Diana Gabaldon. My stepmother introduced me to her first novel, Outlander somewhere near the end of 2000.

I tend to get lost in good books, and want to immediately read another as soon as I am finished with the first. As this was the case here, I was glad I had not read her books before then. It is one of those series that you want to run out and get the next installment of. These are huge books and take Gabaldan years to write. Which is good and bad. Luckily for me, I was able to read all they way through book number 4 and only had to wait a few months before the 5th came out. However, the 6th was 4 years later...and the 7th four years after that and now I am awaiting the arrival of book number 8. 

I just reread the series when I hear the new one is about to come out. As I stated, I am at the age where I can recall the main story, but little details elude me after a certain amount of time. 

I love her view on the series;

The OUTLANDER series started by accident, when I decided to write a novel for practice, in order a) to learn what it took to write a novel, and b) to decide whether I really wanted to do that for real.  I did, and I did–and here we all are, still trying to figure out what the heck you call books that nobody can describe, but that fortunately most people seem to enjoy.
In essence, these novels are Big, Fat, Historical Fiction, ala James Clavell and James Michener.  However, owing to the fact that I wrote the first book for practice, didn’t intend to show it to anyone, and therefore saw no reason to limit myself, they  include…
history, warfare, medicine, sex, violence, spirituality, honor, betrayal, vengeance, hope and despair, relationships,
the building and destruction of families and societies, time travel, moral ambiguity, swords, herbs, horses,
gambling (with cards, dice, and lives), voyages of daring, journeys of both body and soul…
you know, the usual stuff of literature.
How could I not love her? 
This series includes;

Outlander
Dragonfly in Amber
Voyager
Drums of Autumn
The Fiery Cross
A Breath of Snow and Ashes
An Echo in the Bone
*still being written* Written in My Own Hearts Blood (just named, according to her blog) 

In a few months we will know if the 8th book is the last book. I hope not, but as we know...all good things must come to an end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment